So you have your engagement session planned and the day is fast approaching - but what to wear?! Here are my tips that I find work very well and result in beautiful photos:
1. Most importantly wear clothes that you feel good in. Clothes that make you feel confident and comfortable and show off your personality. BE YOURSELF!!
2. Dress at the same level of "dressiness". If she's looking dressed up for a night out on the town don't have him look like he's ready for a day of football on the couch.
3. Complement one another but don't match.
If bright colors capture your personality, this color wheel is a great little tool for choosing colors that pop and complement each other well. So for example, if she's wearing a Springy orange sundress then blue would be a great color for him. Typically, avoiding fluorescent colors is a good way to go.
However, you can never go wrong with all neutrals. Or one person in a neutral color and one in bright color works awesome too. Remember, be yourself!
4. Patterns with Solids. If he has a plaid shirt he's in love with wear it. Patterns photograph well especially if they are paired with the other person wearing solid colors. Just keep in mind smaller scale patterns photograph much better than large patterns. Finally, try to avoid shirts with large logos or prints as they don't photograph very well.
4. Layers are always a winner. Jackets, vests, funky fun jewelry. Layers give clothing depth and allow for easily creating multiple "looks".
5. Change it up. Bring a couple of outfits - one dressy, one casual. I recommend couples wear their dressy clothes first to avoid the clothes getting wrinkled and because it's much easier to get all dressed up at home rather than out on a shoot.
Please feel totally free to contact me if you have any questions on picking out the perfect clothing for your engagement photo session!